Friday, August 30, 2013

Sight translation

Had my first sight translation class today and our dear professor decided to have us all on stage. By the way on stage, simply meant in front the class.

We were given an English speech by Michelle Obama, her first speech as a First Lady at University of California, Merced. Looking at the looong and never ending speech blankly, we were to translate it verbally into Japanese right away. Luckily, we were each assigned to around 3 paragraphs each, and have 1 minute to prepare after our names were called. 

I have no idea when my turn will come and that terrifies me. I usually put my hand up ASAP and have it over before I knew it. This time round, I froze when my name was called. Beth was before me, she had the papers in her hands that shook so violently that it made me super nervous. 

As I walked to the front, I put in much force and attention so that my hands and papers wouldn't be shaking like leaves, that I forgotten that my direct input was my voice. I heard my voice shaking. It was really funny, I heard my shaky vocal and I can't do anything to stop it. My brain was so occupied with the speech content, Japanese grammar, Keigo, that I can't do anything to my stupid voice.

This will probably be one of my most significant body unsynchronized experience that I will remember for a long time. 

It was hilarious, when it was all over and me sitting in my room.

No comments: